Identifying Your Core Values
You might not realize it yet, but there are immense benefits to identifying your core values. It can reduce stress and procrastination and give you a better understanding of yourself. Understanding Your values helps you stay on track in life. Here are Some actions to help you Identify your Core values.
Get In the Right State of Mind
The first step to identifying your core values is to get in the right state of mind. Then, picture those moments when you truly felt fulfilled, and you’ll be ready to go.
- Take a few moments each day to meditate and reflect on what you are thankful for.
- Get into a positive mindset by thinking about the things you are proud of.
- Visualize yourself in a situation where you have achieved one of your goals.
Reflect On the Times in Your Life When You Were the Happiest
When you reflect on the times in your life when you were the happiest, think about the feelings of pride and confidence that you had. If you can identify what caused this feeling, then you’ll be able to unlock your core values.
- Think about a time when you achieved a goal that was incredibly important to you.
- Recall a time when you made a decision that made you feel empowered.
- Reflect on a time when you accomplished something that you thought was impossible.
Think of a Time When You Were Proud of Yourself
To identify your core values, you need to think back to when you felt proud of yourself. Then, reflect on the voids in your life and how they have been filled, and you’ll be one step closer to understanding yourself.
- Think about a time when you achieved something beyond what you thought was possible.
- Recall when you overcame an obstacle that you thought was unbeatable.
- Think about a time when you were kind to someone or showed great empathy.
Identify What Has Made You Feel Fulfilled or Satisfied in the Past
Once you’ve identified the times in your life when you were the happiest, you need to think back on the experiences of happiness, pride, and satisfaction. Describe what’s important to you in words, and you’ll be well on finding your core values.
- Think about the aspects of your life that make you feel fulfilled.
- Identify the relationships in your life that bring you joy and satisfaction.
- Reflect on the values that you’ve held throughout your life.
Align These Experiences with Value Words
Once you’ve described what’s important to you in words, it’s time to align these experiences with value words. Picture a situation where you would have to choose between two values, and you’ll be able to hone in on your core values.
- Picture a situation in which you have to choose between courage and kindness.
- Visualize a situation in which you have to choose between honesty and loyalty.
- Imagine a situation in which you have to choose between ambition and determination.
Prioritize Your Important Values
Now that you have a list of values, it’s time to prioritize them. As you go through your list of values, think about which ones you value the most and which ones you value the least. This will help you identify your core values.
- Rank honesty, courage, and loyalty in order of importance.
- Prioritize kindness, ambition, and determination.
- Rank empathy, confidence, and determination.
You can reduce stress and procrastination by reflecting on your past experiences and identifying your core values. Then, you can take control of your life and make sure you are living the life you want.